2017-18 High School University-Assisted Community Schools Afterschool Instructor
The University of Pennsylvania’s Netter Center for Community Partnerships University-Assisted Community Schools programming (UACS), creates mutually beneficial partnerships between community stakeholders and Penn partners to implement inquiry-based learning in-school and afterschool programming in select West Philadelphia public schools. We work to create learning experiences for youth that are enriching, fun and academically beneficial.
UACS High School Afterschool Instructors use the Leaders of Change service-learning framework and provide enthusiastic and educational direct service to high school students and Penn students alike. This position will also participate in planning activities, assist with management of necessary paperwork such as taking attendance and timesheets and reports to the Site Director or Program Manager.
- Education: College degree preferred
- Able to be physically active with and engage youth
- Knowledge of career ready skill-building activities and curricula for high school students
- Must be able to lead and coach students in work ready activity and assist high school students to implement sports and/or literacy activities with younger students
- Knowledge of project-based learning
- Experience: 1-2 years working with high school aged youth
- Knowledge of youth development and youth work best practices
- Work Readiness summer program experience
- Completion and passing of all Federal and State background checks/clearances
- Experience with urban settings and diverse populations
- Excellent skills with Microsoft office suite and experience with database entry; experience with PC or Mac computers
- Excellent interpersonal, organization and communication skills
- BE POSITIVE, HIGH ENERGY AND FUN!!
- Assist with recruitment and enrollment of students into the program
- Ensure that students are safe at all times
- Plan activities with other staff; prepare lessons;
- Develop resources for student employment procurement
- Attendance at all UACS staff trainings and meetings is required
- Create and implement structured activities which includes: lesson plans, program calendar, and student roster.
- Take attendance, assist with the sign in/sign out process, and manage required paperwork as directed
- Assist with set-up and clean-up of materials and equipment including preparing and securing instructional spaces (classrooms etc.)
- Supervise and direct students according to UACS rules and guidance
- Modify curricula to meet academic and recreational enrichment program goals as needed
- Be familiar with and strive to be in compliance with the Netter Center and School Dist. Of Phila. Core Standards for Youth Programs
- Other duties as assigned
Average of 20 hours/week Monday – Friday from 2:00pm - 6:00pm | Compensation: $15 per hour
To apply please submit resume and cover letter to Sayre-NetterCenter@upenn.edu