The Netter Center is currently operating remotely. Please contact email@example.com for general inquiries.
For Penn Students
For students new to the Netter Center, check out the many ways to get involved!
For students currently enrolled in ABCS courses or other Netter Center programs:
In compliance with Pennsylvania law, University policy, and the requirements of our funders, the Netter Center provides background checks for all student volunteers engaged in or assigned to programs at partnering schools under the School District of Philadelphia. The three mandatory background checks are: the FBI fingerprinting certificate, the Pennsylvania Child Abuse Check certificate, and the Pennsylvania Criminal Record Check certificate.
The Netter Center hosts office hours for all student volunteers and student workers for six weeks each semester. Office hours, deadlines, and details about the process, are provided in the guide distributed electronically to faculty members, program directors, and student leaders (see below).The Netter Center has partnered with a team from Human Resources to offer office hours.
Spring 2020 Office Hours for Clearances:
- Extended Office Hours will begin on Monday March 9. Office Hours will be Mondays and Tuesdays 9:30 am – 11:30 am and 12:35 pm – 4 pm.
- Please note the following dates:
4/13 – 4/14: office hours are cancelled
4/20; office hours are cancelled; alternate office hours will be 4/21 and 4/22 same times 4/27; office hours are cancelled; alternate office hours will be 4/28 and 4/29 same times
Appointments are not necessary, simply visit office hours during the appropriate time windows.
- Please read the Clearance Guide in its entirety before coming to office hours!
- Last day of office hours will be Wednesday, April 29, 2020.
- If you have had your clearances/background checks processed by another agency, please contact the agency and request copies of each certificate, then email those copies to Yetunde Pinckney (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- If you have had clearances processed by the Netter Center during a previous semester, please email Yetunde to confirm that all three are on file and are still valid (email@example.com).
- For general clearances questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Background checks for Penn student volunteers remain valid with the Netter Center until graduation.
Vans to University-Assisted Community Schools
- View the current Van Schedule.
- Van shuttle service is available during the academic year for Netter Center programs, including ABCS courses, traveling from campus to West Philadelphia school partner sites.
- Please submit van requests to email@example.com.
- The Netter Center provides SEPTA DSM cards for ABCS students and student volunteers involved in its programs, to assist in transportation to community partnership sites. Staff supervisors maintain the list of eligible students. These students may pick up their cards from the Netter Center reception desk Monday through Friday, 9:00 am - 5:00 pm.
- Recommended SEPTA routes
- Comegys School: Trolley Lines 11, 13, or 36
- Hamilton School: 21 or 42 bus
- Lea School: 21 or 42 bus
- Mitchell School: Trolley Line 13
- Robeson High School: 21 or 40 bus or walking
- Sayre High School: 21 or 42 bus
- West Philadelphia High School: 21 bus or Market Street Line