For Penn Students
For students new to the Netter Center, check out the many ways to get involved!
For students currently enrolled in ABCS courses or other Netter Center programs:
In compliance with Pennsylvania law, University policy, and the requirements of our funders, the Netter Center provides background checks for
all student volunteers engaged in or assigned to programs at partnering schools under the School District of Philadelphia. The three mandatory background checks are; the FBI fingerprinting certificate, the Pennsylvania Child Abuse Check certificate, and the Pennsylvania Criminal Record Check certificate. Please note that the FBI fingerprinting process has changed; details are provided in the guide below.
- The Netter Center hosts office hours for all student volunteers for six weeks each semester. Office hours, deadlines, and details about the process, are provided in the guide distributed electronically to faculty members, program directors, and student leaders (see below).
- Office Hours for spring 2018: January 9th - February 15th; Monday through Thursday 9:30 am-11:30 am and 12:35 pm-4:30 pm.
- NOTE: NO Office Hours on Wednesday, Janaury 24th.
- If you have had your clearances/background checks processed by another agency, please contact the agency and request copies of each certificate, then email those copies to Yetunde Pinckney (email@example.com).
- If you have had clearances processed by the Netter Center during a previous semester, please email Yetunde to confirm that all three are on file and are still valid (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Background checks for Penn student volunteers remain valid with the Netter Center until graduation.
Vans to University-Assisted Community Schools - begins September 25, 2017
- The Netter Center provides SEPTA tokens for student volunteers involved in its programs, to assist in transportation to community partnership sites. Staff supervisors maintain the list of eligible students. These students may pick up their tokens from the Netter Center reception desk Monday through Friday, 9:00 am - 5:00 pm.
- Recommended SEPTA routes
- Lea School: 21 or 42 bus
- Comegys School: Trolley Lines 11, 13, or 36
- Sayre High School: 21 or 42 bus
- West Philadelphia High School: 21 bus or Market Street Line