Adult Senior Nutrition Program
Food insecurity is an issue in Philadelphia, as it is around the country, but in Philadelphia County, 22% of residents are food insecure and 1 in 3 are SNAP recipients. AUNI offers nutrition education for adult community members and caregivers (ages 18 years and older) as well as to staff at our school partner sites through the Adult Nutrition Education Program (ASNP), which is grant-funded through the PA Dept. of Public Welfare & the USDA’s SNAP Program. ASNP is available at no-cost to our host-sites as well as community members.
Classes are one hour and generally consist of a nutrition lesson, assorted activities, including physical activity and a hands-on cooking workshop, all designed to enhance nutrition education and reinforce dietary constructs. We also provide a wide array of free resources to participants including booklets, handouts, coupons and food tastings. Participants will also be provided with a copy of each recipe so they may begin the process of building their own library of affordable, healthy, easy, accessible, and delicious recipes (mirroring AUNI’s Think AHEAD Model) that can be built into a keepsake book to be used time and again. Healthy eating never tasted so good!
ASNP is currently available at the following sites from mid-October through August (check with individual sites for specific programming schedule):
- A to Z Care (5050 Parkside Avenue)
- Calvary Agape Community Outreach Center (6134 Haverford Avenue)
- CHCS Star Harbor Senior Center (4700 Springfield Avenue)
- The Common Place (5736 Chester Avenue)
- The Family Practice and Counseling Network (6120B Woodland Avenue)
- Greenway Presbyterian Apartments (59th & Kingsessing)
- Jane Addams Place (25 S. 43rd Street)
- Lutheran Settlement House (1340 Frankford Avenue)
- Mercy LIFE (Living Independently for Elders) (45th & Chestnut Streets)
- Methodist Family Services (4300 Monument Road)
- Overbrook Environmental Education Center (6114 Lancaster Avenue)
- Sayre Health Center (5800 Walnut Street)
- Spectrum Community Health Center (52nd & Haverford Streets)
- Stephen Smith Towers (1030 Belmont Avenue)
- Thomas Jefferson University (5601 Kingsessing)
- Vine Memorial Baptist Church (5600 Girard Avenue)
- Walnut Street West Free Library of Philadelphia (201 S. 40th Street)
- West Philadelphia Senior Community Center (1016 N. 41st Street)
For more information about the program or to get involved, contact Melissa Sattler, MSPH, RD at 215-573-1291 or firstname.lastname@example.org.