Adult Senior Nutrition Program
Food insecurity is an issue in Philadelphia, as it is around the country, but in Philadelphia County, 22% of residents are food insecure and 1 in 3 are SNAP recipients. AUNI offers nutrition education for adult community members and caregivers (ages 18 years and older) as well as to staff at our school partner sites through the Adult Senior Nutrition Program (ASNP), which is grant-funded through the PA Dept. of Public Welfare & the USDA’s SNAP Program. ASNP is available at no-cost to our host-sites as well as community members.
Classes are one hour and generally consist of a nutrition lesson, assorted activities, including physical activity and a hands-on cooking workshop, all designed to enhance nutrition education and reinforce dietary constructs. We also provide a wide array of free resources to participants including booklets, handouts, coupons and food tastings. Participants will also be provided with a copy of each recipe so they may begin the process of building their own library of affordable, healthy, easy, accessible, and delicious recipes (mirroring AUNI’s Think AHEAD Model) that can be built into a keepsake book to be used time and again. Healthy eating never tasted so good!
ASNP is currently available at the following sites from mid-October through August (check with individual sites for specific programming schedule):
- A to Z Care (5050 Parkside Avenue)
- Ezekiel Baptist Church (5701 Grays Avenue #39)
- Free Library of Philadelphia - Walnut Street West (201 South 40th Street)
- Greenway Presbyterian Apartments (59th & Kingsessing)
- Jane Addams Place (25 South 43rd Street)
- JEVS Human Services (112 North Broad Street)
- Lutheran Settlement House (1340 Frankford Avenue)
- Mercy LIFE (Living Independently for Elders) (45th & Chestnut Streets)
- Methodist Family Services (4300 Monument Road)
- Overbrook Environmental Education Center (6114 Lancaster Avenue)
- Penn Community Health Workers (3801 Market Street)
- Sadaqah 4 You (631 North 39th Street)
- Sayre Health Center (5800 Walnut Street)
- Star Harbor Senior Center (4700 Springfield Avenue)
- West Philadelphia Senior Community Center (1016 North 41st Street)
For more information about the program or to get involved, contact Melissa Sattler-Gordon, MSPH, RD at 215-573-1291 or email@example.com.