2021-2022 University-Assisted Community Schools (UACS) Sports Instructor
The University of Pennsylvania’s Netter Center for Community Partnerships University-Assisted Community Schools programming (UACS), creates mutually beneficial partnerships between community stakeholders and Penn partners to implement inquiry-based learning in-school and afterschool programming in select West Philadelphia public schools. We work to create learning experiences for youth that are enriching, fun and academically beneficial. UACS Instructors provide enthusiastic and educational direct service to students, participate in planning activities, assists with management of necessary paperwork such as taking attendance and reports to the UACS Coordinator or Site Director of their designated program site.
The UACS sports instructor will support sports practice sessions (basketball, lacrosse, track & field) and afterschool enrichment activities such as homework help and social/emotional skill building. The UACS sports program also partner with Young Quakers Community Athletics (YQCA), a partnership between the University of Pennsylvania’s Netter Center for Community Partnerships and Penn Athletics. YQCA creates mutually beneficial partnerships between select Penn intercollegiate athletic teams and West Philadelphia public schools.
Penn’s varsity athletes engage with West Philadelphia K-8 students, mentoring the children on the field and off. YQCA provides staff, coaches, uniforms, sports equipment, bus transportation, and access to the University’s world-class playing fields at no cost to the schools or their students.
Education: High school diploma required, College degree preferred
- 1-2 years working with elementary and middle school aged youth
- Knowledge of youth development and youth work best practices
- Knowledge of coaching and sports-based youth development
- Completion and passing of all Federal and State background checks/clearances
- Experience with urban settings, diverse populations, and at risk youth
- Experience working in afterschool and/or summer camp environment
- Excellent interpersonal, organization and communication skills
- BE POSITIVE, PHYSICALLY ENGAGED, HIGH ENERGY AND FUN!!
- Use trauma-informed and healing centered practices
- Ensure that children are safe at all times. This includes reinforcement of COVID-19 safety precautions (hand-washing, mask-wearing, social distancing)
- Plan activities with other staff
- Attend all UACS staff training and meetings
- Take attendance, assist with the sign in/sign out process, and manage required paperwork as directed
- Assist with set-up and clean-up of materials and equipment including preparing and securing instructional spaces (classrooms etc.) Clean up responsibilities include COVID-19 sanitization procedures
- Be familiar with and strive to be in compliance with the Netter Center and School Dist. Of Phila. Core Standards for Youth Programs
- Other duties as assigned
Average of 16 hours/week Monday – Friday during afterschool hours approximately 3:00-6:00pm
Job Type: Part-time
Salary: $15.00 /hour
To apply: please send resume to Paige Lombard, Young Quakers Community Athletics Associated Director, firstname.lastname@example.org