AmeriCorps VISTA (Volunteers in Service to America) members bring their passion and perseverance where the need is greatest: to organizations that help eradicate poverty. The most pressing challenges we face as a nation require the most courageous and creative people to address them. An AmeriCorps VISTA member serves as a catalyst for change, living and working alongside community members to advance local solutions.
There are 3 different PACC (Pennsylvania Campus Compact) VISTA positions that college graduates can apply for:
Our VISTA will support the implementation of College Access and Career Readiness (CACR) by addressing the following objectives: 1) implementing continued develop an employment asset map and resource recruitment plan to continue the CACR Employment Council and Employment Bank, 2) facilitate and coordinate undergraduate, graduate, and professional school students volunteers, and 3) continue to create a communication system that will institutionalize the work of the CACR Employment Bank and provide information and allow for feedback from all stakeholder groups through a school-based Employment Council.
Job Location: West Philadelphia - Sayre High School, 5800 Walnut St, Philadelphia, PA 19139
More info: Contact Joe Brand email@example.com
The AmeriCorps*VISTA member will further develop the Young Quakers Community Athletics program so that it aligns with sports based youth development best practices, advances the health and wellness objectives of University Assisted Community Schools (UACS) and support Penn Athletics objectives for student development and leadership. The VISTA will develop sports mentorship curricula so that YQCA curriculum and activities meet the needs of West Philadelphia public school students. The VISTA will recruit, mobilize and align Penn student volunteers to strengthen existing Penn student partnerships and identify new Penn partners. Finally, the VISTA will create a communication system that will institutionalize the work of the YQCA program and allow for feedback from all stakeholder groups, including students, families and schools.
Job Location: West Philadelphia - BB Comegys Elementary School, 5100 Greenway Ave, Philadelphia, PA 19143
More info: Contact Jennifer Chu, firstname.lastname@example.org
The GEAR UP VISTA will develop a curriculum to be implemented in after school programs at West Philadelphia High School. This curriculum will include activities to reinforce school day content, build social and emotional skills, and general practices for high school student academic success. The GEAR UP VISTA will also assist with the recruitment, training, placement, and coordination of college student volunteers who will implement the curriculum. This includes the development of a student leadership structure to define the roles and responsibilities of college student volunteers. By designing and implementing a leadership structure, the VISTA will help ensure the sustainability of the GEAR UP program. Other tasks include planning and coordinating a spring event bringing together college student volunteers and high school students, creating program deliverables like newsletters, mid/end-of year reports, and a program guide to assist with ongoing planning and implementation.
Job Location: West Philadelphia - West Philadelphia High School, 4901 Chestnut St, Philadelphia, PA 19139
More info: Contact Candace Eaton, email@example.com
Join a cohort that works to strengthen communication, collaboration and community in local Philadelphia schools. PHENND seeks 21 full-time AmeriCorps VISTAs:
- 16 serve as Community Partnership Coordinators at 16 different schools all across the city
- four work in the School District of Philadelphia main offices
- one VISTA Leader leads the group at PHENND’s office (must have one year of prior AmeriCorps experience).
About this project:
- This is the seventh year of an AmeriCorps VISTA project in which VISTAs are placed in selected Philadelphia public schools and offices at the School District of Philadelphia to help manage, develop, and track external community partners.
- About the school-based positions:
- The AmeriCorps VISTAs sought for this coming year will coordinate and facilitate partnerships between their school and existing and/or potential outside community partners with the goal of integrating their services into the school’s schedule and meeting major school needs, thereby ensuring that these partnerships are mutually beneficial, sustainable and serving students effectively. The VISTAs will work directly with administrators and teachers to ensure strong communication between and among external partners and key school leadership.
More info: Contact Eden Kainer, firstname.lastname@example.org